June 01 2020 22:02:45

Great live performances
Is climate change re...
UFO incidents
Thomsen Climate Change
Linkbox
Newest Links
Package Thief vs. Gl... (1)
SpaceX: Capitalism a... (0)
Squirrel parkour (0)
MTV Cribs: Einki fan... (0)
ONE HIT WONDERLAND: ... (1)
Michael Jordans grea... (0)
What did rich nobles... (0)
Why Are You Alive ... (0)
Breaking Down The Ab... (3)
Joe Rogan Experience... (0)
Random Photo

A bikeride in FO

Calendar
Member Poll
How do you like the new banner I made for Copenhell?

Wait, that was for Copenhell? I like it, let's keep it!

What's Copenhell? Let's go back to the old one!

Whatever, I want a completely new one!

You must login to vote.
Link
 CategoryLink
Rating
InterestBest-Selling Music Artists 1969 - 2019

Comments
Grizlas on November 03 2019 11:26:14
How old and ignorant I am: https://ibb.co/yVsTtWG
OKJones on November 03 2019 20:33:57
Drake, some guy who sings autotune and compressors and shit. Has a singing range of an octave, just incredibly boring in my opinion.
Norlander on November 04 2019 09:33:27
Shows how the late 80's and 90's were a time of musical upheaval, and that I'm out of touch with modern popular music smiley
Vuzman on November 04 2019 10:35:24
This is comparing apples to oranges. Before music streaming, people bought one album or single, and no matter how often they played it, their purchase only counted once. Nowadays people don't buy music anymore, but they might play a song hundreds of times, and have it count every time.

Some might argue that stats are more accurate now, although it's much easier to manipulate, but either way, it's not directly comparable as it's done in this video.
Norlander on November 04 2019 14:58:52
If your whole point is "Drake is not as popular now as The Beatles were then, even if it lists him as selling more units" then yes you have a point, but the uploader claims no such thing.

From the description of the video:

This data aggregates multiple sources and can serve as popularity indicator across different medias such as album sales, radio broadcasting, digital copies sales and online streaming frequency.

You can compare who is the #1 artist, or top 10 artists, but the absolute number of sales you cannot compare year to year.

As for it being easier to manipulate: There is a well published issue about the veracity of album sales in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. This article gives a good overview on that, but it was also known 20+ years ago, as this article shows.
Vuzman on November 05 2019 15:10:18
That wasn't my point. I'm not arguing. I'm just saying that due to the differences in music consumption and purchasing, the stats don't really compare. Adding radio broadcasting doesn't help either, as the format of radio has changed, as has the habits of the radio listeners.

It's well known that historical album sales numbers are inaccurate, and often have a margin of error of tens of millions. This strengthens my point.
Please Login to Post a Comment.
Username

Boddin 3 days
fjallsbak 4 days
Grizlas 4 days
Laluu 1 week
Spiff 1 week
Obituaries
You must login to post a message.

Grizlas
21/03/2020 11:37
And somewhere in the darkness The gambler he broke even And in his final words I found an ace that I could keep RIP Kenny Rogers

Norlander
03/03/2020 03:58
Suðuroy tú mundi doyð!

Vester
22/11/2019 02:00
allir burdi fari hugt eftir gomlum myndum og uploada nøkur fleiri albums her inni <3 smiley (eg skal eisini fara at hyggja hvat man hevur) smiley

Vuzman
06/09/2019 21:20
I guess no one has died since then? ¯\_(?)_/¯

Boddin
04/09/2019 12:59
Last login "RIP Rutger Hauer" and like that he was gone.

Torellion
03/09/2019 17:18
Wut?

Boddin
03/09/2019 16:27
RIP Jogvanth or so it seems.

Jogvanth
24/07/2019 21:12
RIP Rutger Hauer

OKJones
08/07/2019 17:12
Tað er mánadagur smiley

Vester
08/07/2019 14:34
"waits for that poke" ;P hrmpf smiley

Shoutbox Archive