August 22 2019 20:58:07

Great live performances
Hancock, Carlson and...
Gongumenn Racing
Linkbox
Newest Links
Umhvørvisquiz løgt... (0)
The Day the Music Bu... (1)
Cities (10000+ inhab... (1)
Converting Heat to E... (0)
10 Times HBO's 'Cher... (1)
Biggest One hit wonders (0)
Apollo 11 in Real Time (1)
Social media, but no... (1)
Homer's logic (0)
Sultans of metal - s... (0)
Random Photo
Whereever I may roam
Whereever I may roam
Griz has a Camera

Calendar
Member Poll
How do you like the new banner I made for Copenhell?

Wait, that was for Copenhell? I like it, let's keep it!

What's Copenhell? Let's go back to the old one!

Whatever, I want a completely new one!

You must login to vote.
Link
 CategoryLink
Rating
InterestSome solid programming advice imho

Comments
Vuzman on June 06 2019 10:41:31
This is just another way of expressing the ancient development principle of "Make it work, make it right, make it fast", also expressed as "Make it work, then make it better".

This is why we have TDD, refactoring, etc. It's definitely a good principle, but, to play devil's advocate, the functional requirements are fulfilled after the first step, so if you're on a deadline, why make it better, when it already works? Project leaders (and PO's, customers, etc.) have a notoriously hard time understanding why you need more time to do more work, when it already works!
Grizlas on June 06 2019 12:27:01
Short term will almost always win out over long term in competitive business scenarios, I think. At least - that is my experience smiley

It is hard to justify the extra time, especially if there is any doubt at all about the future of the product.

But what I like most about this, is the more general idea of not committing yourself to a certain design before later on. I think this is a common mistake many companies make. Take, for instance, the area of 2nd generation nuclear reactors and especially molten salt reactors. There are about 20-30 competing designs already in development, that all have in common the fact that they cant get regulatory approval, because they haven't been tested in a real fission environment - something of a catch-22. On the other side, you have some researchers from the Netherlands that have no design yet, but are instead trying to get a simple salt loop placed inside the pool of an existing reactor, so they can study molten salt chemistry and how materials react to it. Their argument is, that you cannot make a good reactor design until you understand the quite complex chemistry, metallurgy etc. of the materials involved. I think this is the better approach - get as far as you can without committing to a specific design, so that you, later on, can make better decisions.
Please Login to Post a Comment.
Username

Grizlas 1 day
OKJones 1 day
Vester 4 days
fjallsbak 1 week
Jogvanth 4 weeks
Obituaries
You must login to post a message.

Jogvanth
24/07/2019 21:12
RIP Rutger Hauer

OKJones
08/07/2019 17:12
Tað er mánadagur smiley

Vester
08/07/2019 14:34
"waits for that poke" ;P hrmpf smiley

Vester
06/05/2019 02:36
Komi væntandi upp til føroyar til ólavsøku í ár smiley so um onkur fer at halda ball osfv ;p poke me smiley

Jogvanth
03/05/2019 18:39
RIP Chewbacca - aka Peter Mayhew

Grizlas
29/04/2019 12:43
Our host has been experiencing severe problems, but I guess we're up and running again

Norlander
27/04/2019 08:38
Up down back around

Jogvanth
10/03/2019 10:49
RIP Stringfellow Hawke aka. Jan-Michael Vincent

OKJones
29/11/2018 16:58
I did what? Nei, tvætl smiley

Grizlas
29/11/2018 11:16
Gleði meg at síggja tykkum - Jóannes lovaði mær at halda ball 2. jólakvøld - veit ikki um hann minnist tað

Shoutbox Archive