View Thread
Gongumenn | General | Music
Page 12 of 12 << < 9 10 11 12
OKJones
RE: Covers that Rock

Commander

Group: Klikan
Posted on 11-05-2023 21:27
Nice, but the problem I have with that kind of style of playing, is that when you have heard one song, you have kind of heard them all. That doesn't need to be a bad thing. If I only heard the song, and didn't see the video my guess would be that this is that russian dude Prodzblysk whatever his name was.

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Edited by OKJones on 11-05-2023 21:29
Grizlas

General

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 11-05-2023 21:38
Well, I agree with you somewhat. I usually don't listen to instrumentals all that much - it's nice to have some vocals as well.
But as instrumentals go, this is top notch imo.

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Edited by Grizlas on 11-05-2023 21:44
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 14-05-2023 03:04
I think her arrangement is wonderful and her performance is skillful and engaging. She arranges it quite simply and true to the song that we know, but adds a few licks and riffs that make it interesting, like the overtones from (2:20). Her rendition is practiced to near perfection. There are hardly any mistakes either in tempo or melody and she makes it seem like an easy tune to play, even having the wherewithal to look up and smile at the camera a couple of times.

Should an entry like this, since it has no vocals, be in "Covers" or "Guitar playing on YouTube"?

pokertutor@gmail.com johan_the_big http://yutani222.blogspot.com/ Send Private Message
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 14-05-2023 03:06
Here is a cover I have enjoyed:

pokertutor@gmail.com johan_the_big http://yutani222.blogspot.com/ Send Private Message
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 16-05-2023 00:46
I checked out a few more songs that "Gabriella9797" covered and she isn't that consistent with her covers. I still think that she really nails the Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" cover, but for example looking at her Sultans of Swing cover, it is, for lack of a better phrasing, without soul (it seems like she doesn't get it).
I am guessing she really likes that Tears for Fears song and has practiced it to perfection and to represent the song she likes. Some of the other covers, I am guessing, she has no love for.

Edited by Yutani on 16-05-2023 00:46
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 16-05-2023 00:54
I wanted to share another cover I enjoyed. This one is from The Voice. I don't know if this thread is the proper place for it or not. I don't think the cover is that perfect, but the reaction it gets is great and it leads us into the opera domain, which might, if people are willing, lead me to share a few of my favorite arias and their best renditions. (Do let me know if this should go in another thread). Anyways, here it is:

By the way, watching the singers reaction to the reception wash over her at (1:58) is what sells the clip for me smiley

Edited by Yutani on 16-05-2023 01:15
Grizlas

General

Posted on 16-05-2023 11:53
I noticed the same thing with Gabrielle. Mostly I think it is due to her age and her improvement over the years. Her videos have been posted over a 13 year span and she has improved a lot throughout. "Everybody wants to rule the world" is her latest one. That said, I think she really feels that song too, more than many others.

Should an entry like this, since it has no vocals, be in "Covers" or "Guitar playing on YouTube"?

Yes, probably! sorry

Edited by Grizlas on 16-05-2023 11:54
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 19-05-2023 01:44
Grizlas wrote:
I love everything this woman does, but this one is just fantastic. It just builds so well.
Sound setup is also pro, which makes a big difference

Going back to Gabriella9797, me a Grizlas talked a little about her guitar playing and career. Prompted by that I looked a little at her stats. She is 26 years old from Sweden, according to her "About" page on YouTube. She started posting fingerstyle guitar playing videos about 12 years ago (at age 14) and has posted about 20 videoes a year, or a little under 2 each month. She has 1.58 million subscribers now and has racked up about 280 million views all together. According to Youtubemoneycalculator she will make about $2.5 per 1000 views, from guitarplaying videoes. I don't think that is true for the early days of YouTube, but if we take that number, she has made about 5 million DKK from her YouTube career of posting less than two videos a month.

I don't know why I went down this rabbit hole, but I did want to share my findings. I don't know how many of us have posted videos on YouTube. I know I started in 2007, with ambitions of making regular posts, but I don't think I ever had ambitions of monetizing any of them.

Yutani

Regular

Posted on 01-06-2023 01:15
Well, no one suggested that it should go in another thread, so now I will dive into the opera genre.

This is one of my favorite arias. I hope some of you will listen to it and enjoy.

I don't know how much to preface it with, but I promise more explanation will follow! Do enjoy it, if you can. Personally, I have found it takes a few listens, to enjoy it, but I have found it worth it!

Know this: 1) Opera includes repititions! She will repeat the words she says quite a few times! 2) Opera is a combination of theatre and music. Sabine Devieilhe plays the role of Cleoprata in this aria! I think I will stop there with the explanation, but I promise to follow it up, unless someone stops me. Do enjoy:

Edited by Yutani on 01-06-2023 01:18
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 03-06-2023 00:32
As said earlier, an opera is a mix of music and theatre. The "script" is called the Libretto and is mostly composed of two parts: Recitatives and Arias. The Recitatives is the action and story unfolding. In an opera it is dialogue that is sung, while the singers act.

The Arias, which is what we are looking at in "Se pietà" is kind of like a monologue. One character steps aside from the action of the Recitative and shares their thoughts and feelings about the events that are unfolding. The Arias in the Libretto are a couple of lines of dialogue, like a little poem. In "Se pietà" it is in Italian:

Se pietà di me non senti, giusto ciel, io morirò.
Tu da pace a' miei tormenti, o quest'alma spirerò.

This is the part that is repeated in the video above. Do press play again and check for yourself.

Translated into English:

If you do not feel pity for me, just heaven, I will die.
You give peace to my torments, or this soul will expire.

The opera is "Giulio Cesare in Egitto" (or "Julius Caesar in Egypt" ). Caesar gets entangled in a power struggle between Cleopatra and her brother Ptolemy (the boy-king of Egypt) in the opera. When Cleopatra sings "Se pietà di me non senti" she has fallen in love with Caesar, who has just entered a battle with Ptolemy's guards. In the Aria Cleopatra begs the Gods to aid Caesar or she will die.

Edited by Yutani on 03-06-2023 00:40
Grizlas

General

Posted on 03-06-2023 01:20
That was quite enjoyable actually. Beautiful music.

I've never gotten much into opera myself, except for one viewing of Carmen in 3g which was amazing. But as I understand it, Carmen is a bit different than other operas.

This reminds me of "Nulla in mundo pax sincera" by Vivaldi. Handel and Vivaldi were apparently contemporaries, which might explain the similarity.

Yutani

Regular

Posted on 09-06-2023 00:27
Sorry for the delay, but I meant to follow up my explanation of opera and here comes a little more detail.

Firstly, "Nulla in mundo pax sincera" is a welcomed addition and the first aria, that we hear above, is a quite similar Baroque aria to "Se Pietá".

As for explanation, we could venture into the different stylistic periods or the different types of opera. We could explore the history of this particular opera, first performed in King's Theatre in the Haymarket, London on 20 February 1724.
We could also delve into the different types of voices, or we could also venture into orchestral composition, which is a little bit alternative in "Giulio Cesare in Egitto".
But I want to skip to the good stuff. What really blew my mind about opera is that it is quite comprehensible, when you know what to look for.

This opera, "Giulio Cesare in Egitto", is a Baroque opera, which follows the classical "da capo aria" structure. The structure of a "da capo aria" ("da capo" meaning ""from the beginning" ) is A B A, representing the first line of the libretto "A" ("Se pietà di me non senti, giusto ciel, io morirò." ), then the second line "B" ("Tu da pace a' miei tormenti, o quest'alma spirerò." ), then the first line "A" repeated, with short orchestral interludes in between each part called ritornellos.

The ritornello (which in Italian means "some little thing that is repeated" ) is the orchestral introduction to the aria. It sets the mood for the aria and also gives the singer time to walk into the spotlight and prepare. You can hear it from 0:00 to 0:41 in "Se pietá", before the "A" - the first line of the libretto - is sung. Again you hear the ritornello from 3:08 to 3:26, before the "B" part of the aria is sung. Again you hear it from 4:50 to 5:08, before the last "A" is sung.

Here is a great detail: the ritornellos and the first "A" and "B" of the aria are song note by note from the musical score. But in the last "A" the singer can freely interpret and add to the piece.

If you have the time, do try to spot the "da capo" structure in "Se pietá" above. Or my favotire aria and performance of "Giulio Cesare in Egitto":

It was performed at the Royal Danish Opera. This clip includes the recitative. The aria starts at 1:13.

Do try to take note of the strucutre of the aria: the recitative, the ritornellos, the "A", "B", and "A" structure and how the singer improvises on the last "A".

Edited by Yutani on 09-06-2023 01:01
Grizlas

General

Posted on 12-06-2023 08:34
Just want to comment that I really appreciate the effort you have put into making this post and I want to delve into this!

Was going to do it this weekend, but I forgot about it - diablo 4 took all my time. But soon!

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 20-09-2023 16:45
Norlander wrote:
Many years ago when I was in San Fran a guy I traveled with made a point of going to the dock of the Bay and we sat there dangling our feet. Talking about our travels, project, and the wonderful Bay in front of us. Ever since then this song has a special meaning to me. Always listened to the original Otis Redding version, but came across this one now, and its impressive.

Playing For Change - Bring It On Home To Me

Playing For Change - Stand By Me

Playing For Change - Guantanamera

I posted about Playing for Change before here, but wanted to highlight some of their other collaborations, particularly their version of "Bring It On Home To Me" and "Guantanamera" are excellent. PFC combines great music from street performers, or as they themselves say:
The primary focus of PFC is to record and film musicians performing in their natural environments and combine their talents and cultural power in innovative videos called Songs Around The World.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

OKJones

Commander

Posted on 17-10-2023 20:01
Soen - Slipknot's "Snuff"

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 16-04-2024 11:46
Metallica - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John)

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Page 12 of 12 << < 9 10 11 12
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page