View Thread
Gongumenn | General | Music
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 > >>
Norlander
Good music that people might not know about

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 17-11-2009 16:32
I was listening to my Warren Zevon collection of mp3's today, and was wondering if anyone else here knew his music well... which led me to think that we need a thread where we post videos of the lesser known high quality music, to maybe broaden each others horizons. Laluu I'm expecting you to post some good stuff heresmiley

Simple rule. One video per artist, preferably with a bit of backstory.

I'll go first with Zevon. He wasn't really mainstream, but came out of the 70's together with Bruce Springsteen. Zevon died in 2003 from lung cancer, and completed his last album 2 weeks prior to his death. This is his farewell song.

Keep me in your heart for a while...

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 17-11-2009 16:46
OKJones
RE: Good music that people might not know about

Commander

Group: Klikan
Posted on 17-11-2009 18:57
Nice song, made me think of John Hiatt's - Have a little faith. Heard this song on the radio about half a year ago. I don't know anything about John Hiatt to be honest. But this song has been covered by Bon Jovi, Jewel, Joe Cocker and others.

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Toxied

Recruit

Group: Regulars
Posted on 17-11-2009 21:52
Portishead is a band that i have known since my young years and still like.
Together with Massic Attack, they are the most worn CDs (LPs) in my collection (Trip Hop RULES).
Not so many people known them by name,
but the music are often used on TV, so you might have heard a couple of their number.

Took some time to find a number that would show what Portishead is.
I ended up with "Glory Box" (To Be a Women), a song that present Portishead the most.
But in sharp competition with Road, Numb and 10-12 others. Damn it is difficult to choose.

History
Dummy (1994)
Portishead (1997)
Pearl (2000) (Bootleg)
Roseland NYC Live (1998) (Have the best from Dummy, Portishead Live)
Hiatus (1999–2005)
Third (2008)

Russian Undercover Hacker
--

jedcatwork@msn.com Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 18-11-2009 01:07
Two good videos you've posted. Odd thing about that Portishead song, I'm only familiar with the band by name, but I know that song very well... just like you predicted smiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 20-11-2009 00:35
Excellent song choices, guys.
Norl and I have talked about Warren Zevon before and I have nothing to add to his post except to agree that he was not just a great songwriter and singer, but also a great interpreter - check out his version of "knocking on heaven's door" and I think some of you will feel goosebumps.

John Hyatt - had heard the name before, but I've just listened to some of his songs. Thumbs up!

Although I do know Portishead from way back, I think a lot of people have the same relationship with them that they have about Massive Attack - they tend to know the music without knowing the band/songs, because they hear them all the time in films, tv-shows and commercials.

My entry is a little bit complicated.

The band is called Deftones - they had their breakthrough when "My Own Summer (Shove It)" from their second album was used in The Matrix. But most people don't know much about them apart from that.
I have all their albums and love them, but the music or sound make-up might take some getting used to - it is very noisy and hissy, so I often feel tired when I've listened to about ½ an hour of their music. But there's no denying the quality.
If you don't like it at first, please give it another chance.

The main reason why I've chosen this song is that it features my favourite vocalist, Maynard James Keenan. I discovered his amazing voice sometime in the mid-90s.
He's the lead singer of 2 different bands: TOOL and A Perfect Circle.
Many people also know him from his guest appearance on Rage Against the Machine's "Know Your Enemy".

(by the way, I alway f*k up my youtube embedding, so someone please edit if it doesn't work)

Deftones - Passenger

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Edited by Vuzman on 30-12-2013 01:42
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 20-11-2009 02:38
Good post, but I think I need to listen to it a few times before my opinion of the band is formedsmiley

Next up: A band that I was introduced to ten years ago in Canada. Delerium has spanned quite a lot of different genres over the years ( Electronic,Ambient, Worldbeat, Pop). It's hard to pick one song of theirs, since the sound changes a lot from album to album, but in the end the choice was between Fallen Icons and their biggest hit (with Sarah McLachlan)Silence, and I choose Fallen Icons.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Torellion

Regular

Posted on 20-11-2009 09:22
When I moved to Denmark in '98 I was introduced to Moonspell. At first Portugese metal didn't sound too exiting but many of their songs just hit home.
I got a friend to make a copy of their album Sin/Pecado (Pecado means sin in portugese) and a few tunes of that album still sit in my favorites list.
The song Magdalene reminds me of our role playing Vampire days. Maybe because of the line "Share the snake with us,
follow the snake with us... ", Setite anyone?

Edited by Vuzman on 17-02-2011 12:17
OKJones

Commander

Posted on 21-11-2009 22:19
Don't know the band at all, but came across this song one day and I think it's very good. Have since listened to other songs by Killswitch Engage but nothing else seems to be to my liking, so here is My Curse.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 23-11-2009 13:17
Came across Bon Iver some months ago. It's an odd sound that begs to be played over and over and grows on me. Somehow it's like a modern day Nebraska. I've included a review from the Village Voice, which explains it a bit better:

Justin Vernon isn't the first young punk to disappear in the wild and emerge a transcendental folkie. And if you're familiar with the indie scene's freak-folk-out of the past half-decade, this isn't the first you've heard of For Emma, Forever Ago, the meditative mood-fuck Vernon assembled alone in his dad's Wisconsin hunting cabin under the name Bon Iver.

While none of Bon Iver's background notes scream "new"—dissolved love affair, check; band breaks up (Vernon's freak-jug outfit, DeYarmond Edison), check—the chilling, rusty grandeur of For Emma will stop you in your snow tracks, however little it snows around here. And there's the key: Equal parts awe and nostalgia, hearing Vernon's muted strums and granular falsetto fade like spun sugar into breath vapor is like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. With idiosyncratic vocals and the simple acoustics of a man alone in this world (plus guitar), the tunes could've easily melted into monotony. But each track folds seamlessly yet distinctively into the next, like imperfect logs split and added to the pile; audible is the intensifying beat of a heart burdened by physical/emotional labor, and the layered echoes of a ghost chorus cascading across a chasm or against the walls of a creaky cabin-turned-cloister.

Bon Iver's French-ish nom de plume, along with intermittent mementos of his process (minor studio tweaks included) and the bold move of throwing out the real name "Emma," hints at a sort-of sound vérité. But his bon mots are blab-and-retract, the details muddled in heavy metaphor and barely discernible murmur. Whimpers work better than words, though, to express the husky tenderness of "Skinny Love" or "re: stacks." For Emma is a work uncorrupted by trend or tricks, but now it seems like every band wants to find its own side of the mountain. Vernon says "the goal was to hibernate".

I've chosen the title track of their album For Emma, Forever Ago.

Enjoy.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Toxied

Recruit

Posted on 23-11-2009 13:33
Will just put in a little danish music here. Again a band that i have listen to since my young years.
It's not a hard pumping beat or an evil guitar that are used in this music.
But is is a very good companion with a glass of wine in a nice chair, sitting and looking at the sun goes down.

A short description would be electro-folk. Could say it is the same concept as Týr. Taking some old text and putting some music on it.

Give it a try!

Sorten Muld - Bonden og Elverpigen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorten_Muld

Russian Undercover Hacker
--

Edited by Vuzman on 17-02-2011 12:17
jedcatwork@msn.com Send Private Message
Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 23-11-2009 18:37
Since Laluu mentioned Tool I think we should get some music from them too. I also include Tool on my (long) list of favorite bands; and I agree that Keenan is a great singer.

One of my favorite Tool songs (and lyrics), Vicarious:

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 29-11-2009 20:13
Going with a famous band for this one, but feel it's suitable for this thread.

Def Leppard is chiefly known for their 80's hair metal, but they have a different side and sound, which isn't as well known (thus qualifying as good music you might not know aboutsmiley )...

A song about doing drugs: Def Leppard - From the Inside

- John Kenneth Galbraith

JonJ

Outsider

Posted on 29-11-2009 20:39
Norlander wrote:
Going with a famous band for this one, but feel it's suitable for this thread.

Def Leppard is chiefly known for their 80's hair metal, but they have a different side and sound, which isn't as well known (thus qualifying as good music you might not know aboutsmiley )...

A song about doing drugs: Def Leppard - From the Inside

This is indeed a great song, which I had totally forgotten about. Time to go dust off my old Def Leppard collection!

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 30-11-2009 22:38
Next up is one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time- I'll give Grizlas a chance to post the other...while I keep flowing:)

The Roots are an old Hip-Hop group, founded in the early 1990's. They are noted as one of the best live hip-hop bands, but haven't had many mainstream hits.

The song is called The Seed (2.0), and it's a multilayer song. On the face of it it deals with a man who wants to keep his legacy alive by impregnating another behind his lover's back, but the wider possible meaning, captured in the "I'm gonna name her Rock&Roll", is how the songwriter perceives the birth of Rock & Roll as the estranged child of Jazz & Soul, with Jazz being the lover betrayed by artists crossing over into different genres. These artists do so because these genres aren't so rigid to new ideas ("I like the opposition because she don't take no pill") compared to the Jazz & Soul ("She want neo-soul, this hip-hop is old, She don't want no rock-n-roll") and those crossovers conceive new genres, thus "fertilizing another behind my lover's back."

A third layer is of based on this being the future of hip & hop, blending with rock.

Anyhow enjoy:)

p.s. They're a noted ally of PETA, and have done work for them over the years.

edit: stupid official video cannot be played embedded, so a bit worse quality.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 30-11-2009 22:51
OKJones

Commander

Posted on 30-11-2009 23:17
Shitty quality, but good song nonetheless. Instantly recognizable heard it several times before somehow.

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 03-12-2009 15:49
Recently featured in the linkbox with what IMNSHO is the most boring singer ever (i.e. Steffen Brandt), Tina Dickow (or Dico, her artist name out of Denmark) is actually one of my favorite singer/songwriters. Very melancholy music.

Tina Dickow - Count To Ten

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

Edited by Vuzman on 30-12-2013 01:43
http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
OKJones

Commander

Posted on 12-12-2009 00:00
I heard this song on the radio this morning, fucking good shit. The Reverands with the song demolition. The singer is the old singer from Mold, that shouldn't put you off though. I can only find it on my space, so you have to click on the song.

http://www.myspace.com/thereverendsmusic

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 06-01-2010 21:05
Caught a piece of this song on Top Gear, and have been searching for it ever since. Great riff on the chorusline.

Elbow - Grounds for Divorce

Edit: Found a better quality video. smiley

No decision is so fine as to not bind us to its consequences.
No consequence is so unexpected as to absolve us of our decisions.
Not even death.
-R. Scott Bakker. 'The Prince of Nothing'

Edited by Vuzman on 30-12-2013 01:43
www.gongumenn.com Send Private Message
Boddin

Regular

Posted on 06-01-2010 22:18
:p nice.

OKJones

Commander

Posted on 16-01-2010 21:52
Stumbled upon this Smashing Pumpkins tune the other day, never been a fan of Smashing Pumpkins so I have no idea if this is a commonly known song amongst Pumpkin fans, but nevertheless I really like this one called Disarm.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 > >>
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page