View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Norlander
UFO incidents

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 31-05-2019 13:17
The story of The Nimitz Encounters has long fascinated me, for those unfamiliar with it, it's UFO (as in unidentified flying object, not aliens per se) encounter with the Nimitz battle group in 2004. There is a good documentary of this on YouTube. They found and saw something, just what it was is still a mystery in 2019.

Now in May 2019 there is some more info coming out, of this encounter and other encounters like it in 2014-15. The New York Times wrote about it, as well as other news sources.

I'm still wondering about what they all saw, it could be new tech out of Edwards, Vandenberg or Groom Lake, it could be fucking aliens, but it was something, it's on video, and there is quite good data available on the flight characteristics, and I assume that the classified data is even better.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 31-05-2019 13:20
Grizlas
RE: UFO incidents

General

Posted on 31-05-2019 14:04
Saw the documentary. My best guess is it was faked. This from wiki:

Stephen Pope, editor of Flying magazine criticized the stories of the incident in The New York Times as "borderline-sensationalist" and says they provoked "a flurry of breathless reporting by media outlets around the world, most of which seem to have failed to notice that the Times’ original reporting has some major problems with it." Pope noted that the purported UFO videos were not released by the Pentagon, but by a former official who is now connected to "To the Stars Academy of the Arts and Sciences", a Las Vegas company that is seeking funding for UFO research.[28]

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 31-05-2019 14:18
The video footage in the NY Times article is clearly sourced as Department of Defense, and not some former disgruntled employee ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Grizlas

General

Posted on 31-05-2019 19:02
Yeah, I can see that. Now I'm confused.

It is a very intriguing story, but seems like it has a lot of missing parts. Hard to even guess about what really happened. My guess is that someone is lying - which this whole video thing seems to suggest.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 31-05-2019 19:13
I'm thinking it's a drone that is designed to confuse radar, so it's flight characteristics are actually not true, and that they've unwittingly been a part of a weapons test basically.

The fact that they keep meeting these things close to Vandenberg AFB and not that far away from Edwards and Groom Lake, suggests it's something from there.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

fjallsbak

Familiar

Group: Klikan
Posted on 17-12-2020 16:40
Eg hoyrdi eitt brot av sendingini "UFO kjallarin" í útvarpinum í gjár.

Hevur nakar av tykkum lurta eftir hesum? Um ja, hvat er tykkara tankar um sendingarnar?

https://kvf.fo/ufo?sid=115612

Edited by fjallsbak on 17-12-2020 16:40
Grizlas

General

Posted on 18-12-2020 08:19
Lurtaði eitt sindur.
Er hettar ikki bara eitt slag av spøkilsissøgum? fjákut, men gangi út frá at har er ein málbólkur..

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 17-05-2021 05:48
60 Minutes covered the story last night, with plenty of former military officers interviewed.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 17-05-2021 05:53
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 19-05-2021 06:53
Another of the crazy videos confirmed to be real DoD footage.

Some discussion regarding that

Still think the most likely is something designed to fool multiple sensor types, as most of these events happen at night, and are "only" caught on Infrared, Radar Acoustics and the like. How unlikely that may be (to fool multiple systems), it still is more likely than "alien probes with gravitational propulsion systems" smiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 19-05-2021 06:58
Another piece from The Hill, regarding how all of the news in the last few weeks links back to the NYTimes article up at the top of this thread.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 19-05-2021 17:45
Okay then...

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 19-05-2021 19:32
I had a UFO phase too, but that was when I was 12.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 19-05-2021 19:43
Vuzman wrote:
I had a UFO phase too, but that was when I was 12.

Equating this with the whole Bob Lazar nonsense is exactly what they try to tell us not to do (the serious part of the Obama interview is from 1:33 to 2:03), which echos the other videos quite well.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 20-05-2021 20:07
metabunk

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 22-05-2021 14:48
Not that much wiser from looking through those posts, as they also take opinion as proof, using statements that boil down to this looks like this.

Look, I'm not saying or even think its aliens. The Fermi Paradox is much more interesting, as in why don't we see anything anywhere, nor are the officials and ex-officials saying anything of the sort, but its still extremely interesting, since its unknown what these objects are, and there are a lot of sightings (a lot more then listed by your metabunk) by the American military, mostly the US Navy.

Personal theory, as I wrote a few years back, is that its something that can evade/confuse military sensors. If it was bloody aliens they wouldn't just follow US Navy battlegroups around. Now what that technology is, and who has that technology is interesting, is it Chinese, American or maybe even private contractors?

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 23-05-2021 11:32
That's Mick West's website, and he does a brilliant job of analyzing these videos. Maybe the comments are confusing; have a look at his youtube channel instead. Here are some videos where he explains some of the recent UFO videos, including the "transmedium" one:

Edited by Vuzman on 23-05-2021 11:34
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 24-05-2021 10:15
My issue with his explanations is the same I have with Michael Shermer. They are used to debating goofballs, and try to swat away things with simple explanations such as "this looks like this" or "to me it seems..."

Case in point from the site, all quotes from Mick himself:

To me this seems consistent with a (#1) weather or other scientific balloon, with a suspended payload.

The speed at which it descends almost makes me think of a planet setting.

This cloud be the balloon deflating, but suggests to me that it's a glare, going behind the horizon (or maybe just a wave)

Basically Shermer and Wick treat debating with a known hyperbolic snake oil salesman (Graham Hancock) the same as debating someone who has extensive field studies to back up their theory (Randall Carlson) - this led to a lot of people with knowledge of the field not take Shermer seriously after that weird encounter on JRE (and 1½ year later the Hiawatha crater was discovered) and Wick is doing the same thing here. It is not random UFO guy / ham radio enthusiast he is dealing with, but military signal experts, who see thousands of videos and images of planets setting, glare, balloons, backlit planes etc, and they have come to the conclusion that these encounters are not that.

I see that his latest posts go in another direction, such as:

The vastly simpler answer is that it didn't happen, and the radar returns were wrong.

That might very well be true, but then the question is why are the radar returns wrong (and FLIR, and the dozen other shipboard sensors), which then goes all the way back to the thing I posted years ago in this thread.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 24-05-2021 10:16
Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 24-05-2021 18:05
Basically Shermer and Wick treat debating with a known hyperbolic snake oil salesman (Graham Hancock) the same as debating someone who has extensive field studies to back up their theory (Randall Carlson) - this led to a lot of people with knowledge of the field not take Shermer seriously after that weird encounter on JRE (and 1½ year later the Hiawatha crater was discovered)

Wick is giving a perfectly coherent and rational analysis, and even shows how his explanations work. Just because someone has a lot of experience doesn't mean they can't have blind spots. I'm not convinced the Hiawatha crater vindicates Randall Carlson, and I don't think many people do. I would like to see a citation for your "lot of people with knowledge of the field" not taking Michael Shermer seriously.
Frankly, I think you're in a JRE bubble and getting all this from youtube comments.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 24-05-2021 23:53
Vuzman wrote:
I'm not convinced the Hiawatha crater vindicates Randall Carlson, and I don't think many people do.

The problem with Randall are his other theories, but the megafloods at the end of the ice-age are fairly settled science. He advocates for additional floods, basically taking the theory proposed by Victor Baker and pushing it further, including an impact hypothesis. Back on that JRE podcast, that was what he was discussing, showing evidence (keep in mind: what it is evidence of isn't settled) and wanting to discuss that with the "phone-a-friend" geology expert that Shermer brought along. Yet the discussion was taken all over the place, because Shermer lumped that in with Hancock's nonsense.

As for the 30 km crater. It can explain everything his funded expeditions have found, even if it happened 100000 years before the end of the ice age. The impact proxies can easily be from a 'geologically recent' strike (might be Hiawatha, might be another one), the different isotopes (abidance of iridium, platinum, etc.) can likewise be connected to that, even if that strike did not cause the megafloods, which was his hypothesis. Problem was Shermer and "phone-a-friend" debated that Randall's evidence didn't exist, which it did, instead of debating "that doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means". A good rundown is actually the Wikipedia page on this, with peer-reviewed pro and con articles linked.

Now Randall overall has some silly shit he says, and when he ventures away from the Missoula megafloods he makes a fool of himself quite often.

I would like to see a citation for your "lot of people with knowledge of the field" not taking Michael Shermer seriously.

I might have misworded myself, I meant his position in that interview wasn't viewed as good as it should have been, mostly because of the dull attacks on Carlson. Had he purely focused on the pseudoarchology of Hancock it would have gone better. He himself noted that, and devoted the next magazine to explain himself and the interview (Skeptic Magazine, Volume 22 Number 3), as well as having a dozen pages of his latest book devoted to that interview (Giving the Devil His Due).

Frankly, I think you're in a JRE bubble and getting all this from youtube comments.

Don't really read YouTube comments, and haven't watched a JRE since he moved to Spotify, but nice try.

BTW while going back to check Shermer mentioning the reason for the dedicated magazine (as I remember it) in his following JRE appearance (#1068) I was astonished to see that its removed, anyone know why that particular episode with Shermer is removed from YouTube? Did he say something controversial about trans-rights in sports or something?

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 24-05-2021 23:54
Coming back to Wick: he debates "that isn't anything out of the ordinary", while the US Navy says "yes it is and this is our proof". I wish he would debate "what can possibly cause systematic sensor error", and if he honestly believes dozens of ships have shitty sig int officers then please debate: "how can we increase the quality of the training of the people who have nukes, so they don't blow us all up over 99 mylar balloons", because its fucking scary if they cannot tell a mylar balloon coming towards them with the nuclear arsenal a battlegroup has.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page