View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Page 7 of 9 << < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Norlander
RE: Quantum entanglement

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 20-05-2013 11:45
Quantum entanglement occurs when particles such as photons, electrons, molecules as large as buckyballs, and even small diamonds interact physically and then become separated; the type of interaction is such that each resulting member of a pair is properly described by the same quantum mechanical description (state), which is indefinite in terms of important factors such as position, momentum, spin, polarization, etc.

Quantum entanglement is a form of quantum superposition. When a measurement is made and it causes one member of such a pair to take on a definite value (e.g., clockwise spin), the other member of this entangled pair will at any subsequent time be found to have taken the appropriately correlated value (e.g., counterclockwise spin). Thus, there is a correlation between the results of measurements performed on entangled pairs, and this correlation is observed even though the entangled pair may have been separated by arbitrarily large distances. In quantum entanglement, part of the transfer happens instantaneously. Repeated experiments have verified that this works even when the measurements are performed more quickly than light could travel between the sites of measurement: there is no slower-than-light influence that can pass between the entangled particles. Recent experiments have shown that this transfer occurs at least 10,000 times faster than the speed of light, which does not remove the possibility of it being an instantaneous phenomenon, but only sets a lower limit.

This behavior is consistent with quantum-mechanical theory, has been demonstrated experimentally, and it is accepted by the physics community. However there is some debate about whether a possible classical underlying mechanism could explain why this correlation occurs instantaneously even when the separation distance is large. The difference in opinion derives from espousal of various interpretations of quantum mechanics.

Research into quantum entanglement was initiated by a 1935 paper by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen describing the EPR paradox and several papers by Erwin Schrödinger shortly thereafter. Although these first studies focused on the counterintuitive properties of entanglement, with the aim of criticizing quantum mechanics, eventually entanglement was verified experimentally, and recognized as a valid, fundamental feature of quantum mechanics. The focus of the research has now changed to its utilization as a resource for communication and computation.

Source

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman
37 Conversation Rules for Gentlemen from 1875

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 24-06-2013 10:21
1. Even if convinced that your opponent is utterly wrong, yield gracefully, decline further discussion, or dexterously turn the conversation, but do not obstinately defend your own opinion until you become angry…Many there are who, giving their opinion, not as an opinion but as a law, will defend their position by such phrases, as: “Well, if I were president, or governor, I would,” — and while by the warmth of their argument they prove that they are utterly unable to govern their own temper, they will endeavor to persuade you that they are perfectly competent to take charge of the government of the nation.

2. Retain, if you will, a fixed political opinion, yet do not parade it upon all occasions, and, above all, do not endeavor to force others to agree with you. Listen calmly to their ideas upon the same subjects, and if you cannot agree, differ politely, and while your opponent may set you down as a bad politician, let him be obliged to admit that you are a gentleman.

3. Never interrupt anyone who is speaking; it is quite rude to officiously supply a name or date about which another hesitates, unless you are asked to do so. Another gross breach of etiquette is to anticipate the point of a story which another person is reciting, or to take it from his lips to finish it in your own language. Some persons plead as an excuse for this breach of etiquette, that the reciter was spoiling a good story by a bad manner, but this does not mend the matter. It is surely rude to give a man to understand that you do not consider him capable of finishing an anecdote that he has commenced.

4. It is ill-bred to put on an air of weariness during a long speech from another person, and quite as rude to look at a watch, read a letter, flirt the leaves of a book, or in any other action show that you are tired of the speaker or his subject.

5. In a general conversation, never speak when another person is speaking, and never try by raising your own voice to drown that of another. Never assume an air of haughtiness, or speak in a dictatorial manner; let your conversation be always amiable and frank, free from every affectation.

6. Never, unless you are requested to do so, speak of your own business or profession in society; to confine your conversation entirely to the subject or pursuit which is your own specialty is low-bred and vulgar. Make the subject for conversation suit the company in which you are placed. Joyous, light conversation will be at times as much out of place as a sermon would be at a dancing party. Let your conversation be grave or gay as suits the time or place.

7. In a dispute, if you cannot reconcile the parties, withdraw from them. You will surely make one enemy, perhaps two, by taking either side, in an argument when the speakers have lost their temper.

8. Never, during a general conversation, endeavor to concentrate the attention wholly upon yourself. It is quite as rude to enter into conversation with one of a group, and endeavor to draw him out of the circle of general conversation to talk with you alone.

9. A man of real intelligence and cultivated mind is generally modest. He may feel when in everyday society, that in intellectual acquirements he is above those around him; but he will not seek to make his companions feel their inferiority, nor try to display this advantage over them. He will discuss with frank simplicity the topics started by others, and endeavor to avoid starting such as they will not feel inclined to discuss. All that he says will be marked by politeness and deference to the feelings and opinions of others.

10. It is as great an accomplishment to listen with an air of interest and attention, as it is to speak well. To be a good listener is as indispensable as to be a good talker, and it is in the character of listener that you can most readily detect the man who is accustomed to good society.

11. Never listen to the conversation of two persons who have thus withdrawn from a group. If they are so near you that you cannot avoid hearing them, you may, with perfect propriety, change your seat.

12. Make your own share in conversation as modest and brief as is consistent with the subject under consideration, and avoid long speeches and tedious stories. If, however, another, particularly an old man, tells a long story, or one that is not new to you, listen respectfully until he has finished, before you speak again.

13. Speak of yourself but little. Your friends will find out your virtues without forcing you to tell them, and you may feel confident that it is equally unnecessary to expose your faults yourself.

14. If you submit to flattery, you must also submit to the imputation of folly and self-conceit.

15. In speaking of your friends, do not compare them, one with another. Speak of the merits of each one, but do not try to heighten the virtues of one by contrasting them with the vices of another.

16. Avoid, in conversation all subjects which can injure the absent. A gentleman will never calumniate or listen to calumny.

17. The wittiest man becomes tedious and ill-bred when he endeavors to engross entirely the attention of the company in which he should take a more modest part.

18. Avoid set phrases, and use quotations but rarely. They sometimes make a very piquant addition to conversation, but when they become a constant habit, they are exceedingly tedious, and in bad taste.

19. Avoid pedantry; it is a mark, not of intelligence, but stupidity.

20. Speak your own language correctly; at the same time do not be too great a stickler for formal correctness of phrases.

21. Never notice it if others make mistakes in language. To notice by word or look such errors in those around you is excessively ill-bred.

22. If you are a professional or scientific man, avoid the use of technical terms. They are in bad taste, because many will not understand them. If, however, you unconsciously use such a term or phrase, do not then commit the still greater error of explaining its meaning. No one will thank you for thus implying their ignorance.

23. In conversing with a foreigner who speaks imperfect English, listen with strict attention, yet do not supply a word, or phrase, if he hesitates. Above all, do not by a word or gesture show impatience if he makes pauses or blunders. If you understand his language, say so when you first speak to him; this is not making a display of your own knowledge, but is a kindness, as a foreigner will be pleased to hear and speak his own language when in a strange country.

24. Be careful in society never to play the part of buffoon, for you will soon become known as the “funny” man of the party, and no character is so perilous to your dignity as a gentleman. You lay yourself open to both censure and bad ridicule, and you may feel sure that, for every person who laughs with you, two are laughing at you, and for one who admires you, two will watch your antics with secret contempt.

25. Avoid boasting. To speak of your money, connections, or the luxuries at your command is in very bad taste. It is quite as ill-bred to boast of your intimacy with distinguished people. If their names occur naturally in the course of conversation, it is very well; but to be constantly quoting, “my friend, Gov. C,” or, “my intimate friend, the president,” is pompous and in bad taste.

26. While refusing the part of jester yourself, do not, by stiff manners, or cold, contemptuous looks, endeavor to check the innocent mirth of others. It is in excessively bad taste to drag in a grave subject of conversation when pleasant, bantering talk is going on around you. Join in pleasantly and forget your graver thoughts for the time, and you will win more popularity than if you chill the merry circle or turn their innocent gayety to grave discussions.

27. When thrown into the society of literary people, do not question them about their works. To speak in terms of admiration of any work to the author is in bad taste; but you may give pleasure, if, by a quotation from their writings, or a happy reference to them, you prove that you have read and appreciated them.

28. It is extremely rude and pedantic, when engaged in general conversation, to make quotations in a foreign language.

29. To use phrases which admit of a double meaning, is ungentlemanly.

30. If you find you are becoming angry in a conversation, either turn to another subject or keep silence. You may utter, in the heat of passion, words which you would never use in a calmer moment, and which you would bitterly repent when they were once said.

31. “Never talk of ropes to a man whose father was hanged” is a vulgar but popular proverb. Avoid carefully subjects which may be construed into personalities, and keep a strict reserve upon family matters. Avoid, if you can, seeing the skeleton in your friend’s closet, but if it is paraded for your special benefit, regard it as a sacred confidence, and never betray your knowledge to a third party.

32. If you have traveled, although you will endeavor to improve your mind in such travel, do not be constantly speaking of your journeyings. Nothing is more tiresome than a man who commences every phrase with, “When I was in Paris,” or, “In Italy I saw…”

33. When asking questions about persons who are not known to you, in a drawing-room, avoid using adjectives; or you may enquire of a mother, “Who is that awkward, ugly girl?” and be answered, “Sir, that is my daughter.”

34. Avoid gossip; in a woman it is detestable, but in a man it is utterly despicable.

35. Do not officiously offer assistance or advice in general society. Nobody will thank you for it.

36. Avoid flattery. A delicate compliment is permissible in conversation, but flattery is broad, coarse, and to sensible people, disgusting. If you flatter your superiors, they will distrust you, thinking you have some selfish end; if you flatter ladies, they will despise you, thinking you have no other conversation.

37. A lady of sense will feel more complimented if you converse with her upon instructive, high subjects, than if you address to her only the language of compliment. In the latter case she will conclude that you consider her incapable of discussing higher subjects, and you cannot expect her to be pleased at being considered merely a silly, vain person, who must be flattered into good humor.

Gentleman’s Guide to Etiquette, Cecil B. Hartley, 1875

Source

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

Edited by Vuzman on 24-06-2013 10:21
http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Grizlas
RE: Interesting stuff

General

Posted on 24-06-2013 15:46
Fuck hattar er gott.

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Laluu
Konrad Kellen - the Vietnam War could have been different

Veteran

Group: Klikan
Posted on 09-07-2013 10:26
There have been some interesting sort-of biographical articles in this thread (e.g. Heddy Lamarr). I found this story to be very interesting indeed and plan to read some more about this dude.

Konrad Kellen was an unknown defence analyst who might have changed the course of the Vietnam War if only people had listened to him, argues Malcolm Gladwell.

Listening well is a gift. The ability to hear what someone says and not filter it through your own biases is an instinctive ability similar to having a photographic memory.

And I think we have a great deal of trouble with people who have this gift. There is something about all of us that likes the fact that what we hear is filtered through someone's biases.

There are many examples of this phenomenon, but I want to focus on the story of Konrad Kellen, a truly great listener.

During the Vietnam War, he heard something that should have changed the course of history. Only it didn't. And today no-one really knows who Kellen was - which is a shame because his statue should be in the middle of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC.During the Vietnam War, he heard something that should have changed the course of history. Only it didn't. And today no-one really knows who Kellen was - which is a shame because his statue should be in the middle of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC.

Kellen was born in 1913. His full name was Katzenellenbogen - one of the great Jewish families of Europe. They lived in splendour near Berlin's Tiergarten. His father was a prominent industrialist and his stepmother was painted by Renoir, a family friend.

Kellen was tall, handsome and charismatic. He loved Ferraris. He could quote long sections of Thucydides from memory. One of his cousins was the great economist Albert O Hirshman. Another was Albert Einstein.

He lived one of those extraordinary 20th Century lives. When he was quite young, he left Berlin and moved to Paris where he became friends with Jean Cocteau. On a ship, the America, he was offered a job by the gangster Dutch Schultz. And when he got to the US, he met the author Thomas Mann and became his private secretary. Then he joined the US Army during World War II.

After the war was over, a young woman came up to him in a Paris cafe and asked if he'd do her a favour: "My father is an artist and I need someone to take his work back to America." He agreed. The woman was Marc Chagall's daughter.

Kellen was the kind of person that people went up to unannounced in cafes and asked great favours of. He had that gift.

Full article and fact boxes etc.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23037957

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Edited by Laluu on 09-07-2013 10:28
Vuzman
Fed tjald!

Admiral

Posted on 20-08-2013 08:53
De fleste i Danmark og omegn kender begrebet "tjald" som nok det mest berømte danske slangord for hash! Men her skal I få historien bag det danske slangord for hash!

Fra omkring 1920 og frem til 1968 hed passagerskibet i ruten Færøerne-København fra det færøske rederi "Skipafelagið Føroyar" Tjaldur. Her et billede af det næstsidste sidste Færøske passagerskib fra det Færøske rederi "Skipafelagið Føroyar" (Faroe Ship) som bar navnet Tjaldur. Dette billede af M/S Tjaldur er fotograferet på Færøerne sidst i 1950'erne. M/S Tjaldur blev bygget i 1952-53 og sejlede mellem Asiatisk Plads i København og Færøerne i årene 1953-1967, hvorpå det blev solgt til Chile, hvor det sejlede som flådefartøj i mange år bagefter. Efter Skipafelagið Føroyar solgte sin kronjuvel i 1967, anskaffede man sig et ældre skib fra ca. 1940 som også fik navnet Tjaldur. Dette skib fortsatte ruten mellem Færøerne og Asiatisk Plads i København, indtil Skipafelagið Føroyar endeligt indstillede al passagersejllads melem Færøerne og Danmark i 1968. Fra omkring 1966 holdt en lille subkultur til i eet af pakhusene ved Asiatisk Plads i København. Dér solgte man illegalt hash. For at sløre lokaliteten og ikke mindst "varerne", gik det under dæknavnet "Tjald". Alle i København vidste dengang hvor det færøske passagerskib Tjaldur havde kajplads, og for denne Københavnske subkultur, var "Tjald" kodeordet for Asiatisk Plads! Selvom Skipafelagið Føroyar indstillede al passagersejllads i 1968 og navnet Tjaldur forsvandt fra den færøske skibsliste, så overlevede begrebet "Tjald" helt frem til idag. Dog er det idag kun de færreste som ved, at Færøernes flotte flagskib som sejlede på Danmark og Færøerne i årene 1953-67, samt den Færøske nationalfugl Tjaldur (strandskaden), ufrivilligt skulle lægge navn til det danske slangord for hash.

Source

Edited by Vuzman on 20-08-2013 08:56
Norlander
RE: Is the Matrix real?

Field Marshal

Posted on 01-09-2013 10:58
Physicists say they may have evidence that the universe is a computer simulation.

How? They made a computer simulation of the universe. And it looks sort of like us.

A long-proposed thought experiment, put forward by both philosophers and popular culture, points out that any civilisation of sufficient size and intelligence would eventually create a simulation universe if such a thing were possible.

And since there would therefore be many more simulations (within simulations, within simulations) than real universes, it is therefore more likely than not that our world is artificial.

Now a team of researchers at the University of Bonn in Germany led by Silas Beane say they have evidence this may be true.

In a paper named 'Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation', they point out that current simulations of the universe - which do exist, but which are extremely weak and small - naturally put limits on physical laws.

Technology Review explains that "the problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time."

What that basically means is that by just being a simulation, the computer would put limits on, for instance, the energy that particles can have within the program.

These limits would be experienced by those living within the sim - and as it turns out, something which looks just like these limits do in fact exist.

For instance, something known as the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin, or GZK cut off, is an apparent boundary of the energy that cosmic ray particles can have. This is caused by interaction with cosmic background radiation. But Beane and co's paper argues that the pattern of this rule mirrors what you might expect from a computer simulation.

Naturally, at this point the science becomes pretty tricky to wade through - and we would advise you read the paper itself to try and get the full detail of the idea.

But the basic impression is an intriguing one.

Like a prisoner in a pitch-black cell, we may never be able to see the 'walls' of our prison -- but through physics we may be able to reach out and touch them.

Source:Huffington Post

Follow Up.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Norlander
RE: The Arrow of Time and Quantum Information Theory

Field Marshal

Posted on 21-09-2013 11:22
Two 1h long, but very interesting Google Tech Talks.

First one, which is the best one, comes to an interesting conclusion about the universe, the arrow of time and "dark energy". It's particularly interesting because it solves the problem of Boltzmann Brains and explains the reason for the extremely low entropy of the Big Bang.

The second deconstructs quantum mechanics via quantum information theory to claim that there are zero universes - everyone is a Turing machine "we are not made of atoms, we are made of (classical) bits" that is living within a pretty good simulation preformed by quantum computer.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 23-09-2013 14:26
Interesting essay in the BBC Magazine.

A couple of teaser excerpts: (full text in link)

I spend a lot of time in hotels. They offer many temptations and although, like most people, I believe I'm more than averagely honest, nevertheless temptation does prove, on occasion, tempting. Well, it would.

[...]
I did wrong. Because I was unobserved. No one was watching me.

And I'm not alone in behaving badly when I know I'm unobserved. When psychologists test how people behave with and without oversight, it becomes depressingly clear that if we think nobody's looking, we don't even remotely always let our conscience be our guide. And this means we do bad things, sometimes extremely bad things. And our doing of bad things and how preventable this is has fascinated me all my life.

The article goes on to discuss what Stanley Milgram's experiment teaches us as well as what we can learn from the Stanford Prison Experiment.
But remember that this isn't a scientific essay - it's magazine article/essay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24165872

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 01-10-2013 11:51
A surprisingly articulate talk about psi, the paranormal and science.

I'm not convinced by him on the issue of psi, but he is right that there is a scientific taboo on the subject.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman
One Big Happy Molecule

Admiral

Posted on 12-11-2013 15:34
In the winter of 1839 Charles Goodyear was in Massachusetts trying to figure out how to make natural rubber more useful so that he could finally make a living at his until-now fruitless tinkering. He had mixed rubber latex and sulfur together when he had a little accident. He spilled the mixture on a hot stovetop. When the mixture was through frying, Goodyear couldn't believe what had happened.

Wouldn't you know sulfur was just the extra ingredient he needed to make rubber work in cold weather. After mixing hot gooey rubber latex and sulfur and letting the mixture cool, he took the rubbery solid that resulted and tacked it to the outside of his door. The cold Massachusetts winter didn't make it brittle. What's more, it didn't become gooey when heated anymore, either. Goodyear was onto something here. This process for making rubber more useable became known as vulcanization.

What Goodyear had done was this: he crosslinked the rubber. Let me explain. The sulfur molecules each contain eight sulfur atoms, arranged in a ring:

When these sulfur molecules are heated with polyisoprene molecules, something nifty happens. The sulfur rings open, and fall apart. Fragments of the sulfur rings will join with the polyisoprene, joining the chains together, as you see below:

Here's the intriguing part. Once the rubber has been crosslinked, all the molecules have joined into one big molecule. Polyisoprene molecules are big as molecules go already, having molecular weights sometimes over one million. But now they have all joined into one molecule, one so big that a person can see it, feel it, and pick it up. A piece of crosslinked rubber contains one molecule. Amazing, isn't it?

This crosslinking makes the rubber stronger. It also allows the rubber to keep its shape better when it is stretched over and over again. It keeps the rubber from getting gooey in hot climates because, think about it, a single molecule can't flow like a substance made up of many molecule. Think of the way you can pour a bucket full of gravel, but you can't really pour a boulder, and you'll get the idea.

Source

Edited by Vuzman on 12-11-2013 15:35
Laluu
Loanwords in English?

Veteran

Posted on 06-02-2014 13:27
Does English still borrow words from other languages?

English language has "borrowed" words for centuries. But is it now lending more than it's taking, asks Philip Durkin, deputy chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary.

English speakers may not be famous for being au fait with foreign languages, but all of us use words taken from other languages every day.

In that last sentence au fait is an obvious example, but famous, foreign, languages, use, and taken are also borrowed words. Knowledge of what is being borrowed, and from where, provides an invaluable insight into the international relations of the English language.

The article goes on to establish how the English language traditionally borrowed from French, Norse, Latin, German and colonial languages.
The interesting point is, that current loanwords tend to be related to food and culture - while the English language (as the current main language of science and culture) tends to lend words into other languages.

Full article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26014925

Having studied in Scotland and having Faroese in my pocket while looking at old/middle/modern English as well as some Scots - I became fascinated how loanwords become established. And Tórður Jóansson wrote his doctoral thesis in English on a similar subject.

The author is Dr. Philip Durkin, and I really like the his job title: Principal Etymologist, Oxford English Dictionary

- H.P. Lovecraft

Edited by Laluu on 06-02-2014 13:30
Vuzman
Frihedsbudskabet 4. Maj 1945

Admiral

Posted on 05-05-2014 10:30
4' Maj.
Af B.B.C.s Udsendelse til Danmark
Fredag den 4. Maj 1945 Kl. 20.30 - 21.00

Ved Mikrofonen: Johs. G. Sørensen.
Optaget af A. Schnedevig, Hellerup.

FOBA-FILM-TONE
København-Hellerup.

Published, Copenhagen May 4th 1946.

The Liberation message of the Danish voice from BBC May 4th 1945. The Danish broadcast speaker Johannes G. Sørensen from BBC announces that the Germans in Holland, North-West Germany and Denmark have surrendered.
During WW2, Aage Schnedevig in Hellerup, Copenhagen, recorded very secret on 78rpm records most of the Danish News from BBC.
On the first anniversary of the Liberation on May 4th 1946, this 78rpm record was published with some of the most important sound tracks from this very historic broadcast from BBC on may 4th 1945.

Edited by Vuzman on 05-05-2014 10:30
Vuzman
Average IQ of students by college major and gender ratio

Admiral

Posted on 27-06-2014 10:23

IQ scores are calculated from SAT scores.

Source

Edited by Vuzman on 27-06-2014 10:23
Vuzman
The original pronunciation of Shakespeare

Admiral

Posted on 29-06-2014 14:34
The original pronunciation of Shakespeare

Edited by Vuzman on 29-06-2014 14:34
Vuzman
The sound of the dialup

Admiral

Posted on 30-10-2014 17:24
The old-timey telephone system we remember from our youth, and which actually still exists today (ask old people to show you their phones), was made for human speech, not digital communication. Back in the day, digital data was actually converted to sound, transmitted over the phone lines, and then converted into digital data again. Depending on how modern the phone system was, the sound transmitted through the phone lines would even be converted to digital data on the way, and back to sound before it reached the other end. This conversion would be optimized for human speech, not digital communication.

The conversion from bits to sound is called modulation, and the conversion from sound to bits iss called de-modulation. The thingy that performed this was thus a modulator/de-modulator, or the short version: a modem.

Amazing as this is, it didn't always work so well, as we all remember from modem-related frustrations. In order to help people understand what was going wrong, and maybe troubleshoot the problems, early modems would have a speaker, and play the actual sound of the modem communicating with the server on the other end. Only the so-called handshake, where the communication line was set up would be played. During this handshake, the modem and the server find out each other's capabilities, and the capabilities of the phone line, in order to start the real communication (MUDs and porn).

Below is a spectrogram of the handshake audio. Click the image to view a full version.

The first thing we hear in this example is a dial tone, the same tone you would hear when picking up your landline phone. The modem now knows it's connected to a phone line and can dial a number. The number is signaled to the network using Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency signaling, or DTMF, the same sounds a telephone makes when dialing a number.

The remote modem answers with a distinct tone that our calling modem can recognize. They then exchange short bursts of binary data to assess what kind of protocol is appropriate. This is called a V.8 bis transaction.

Now the modems must address the problem of echo suppression. When humans talk, only one of them is usually talking while the other one listens. The telephone network exploits this fact and temporarily silences the return channel to suppress any confusing echoes of the talker's own voice.

Modems don't like this at all, as they can very well talk at the same time (it's called full-duplex). The answering modem now puts on a special answer tone that will disable any echo suppression circuits on the line. The tone also has periodic "snaps" (180° phase transitions) that aim to disable yet another type of circuit called echo canceller.

Now the modems will list their supported modulation modes and try to find one that both know. They also probe the line with test tones to see how it responds to tones of different frequencies, and how much it attenuates the signal. They exchange their test results and decide a speed that is suitable for the line.

After this, the modems will go to scrambled data. They put their data through a special scrambling formula before transmission to make its power distribution more even and to make sure there are no patterns that are suboptimal for transfer. They listen to each other sending a series of binary 1's and adjust their equalizers to optimally shape the incoming signal.

Soon after this, the modem speaker will go silent and data can be put through the connection.

Source

Edited by Vuzman on 30-10-2014 17:25
Norlander
RE: Ontario Highway 401

Field Marshal

Posted on 10-11-2014 19:35
This highway has fascinated me for 15 years now, so it was quite interesting to see the article on it being today's featured article on the English language Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_401

There are several interesting facts about this road, mainly:
The part of Highway 401 that passes through Toronto is the busiest highway in the world, and one of the widest.

But the real reason it fascinates me in particular, the reason I enjoyed reading the article on Wikipedia today, is that the very first time I drove a car on any highway, was when I went to Toronto in 1999. Once I landed at the airport I found out I had to get to Mississauga (Toronto's main suburb, population 700k), and that this place was 30 km away. So in proper "that can't be a problem" mode I rented a car and - oblivious to the aforementioned facts - drove straight into this 18 lane traffic leviathan at rush hour smiley

"Vit eru ikki Yviri við Strond longur"

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 10-11-2014 20:34
Vuzman
Old World Language Families

Admiral

Posted on 19-11-2014 11:42

Click image for full-size version

Source

Edited by Vuzman on 19-11-2014 11:43
Vuzman
A Brief History Of Graphics In Video Games

Admiral

Posted on 25-11-2014 11:09

Edited by Vuzman on 25-11-2014 11:10
Grizlas

General

Posted on 25-11-2014 16:17
Very informative. I think this must be the first documentary involving video games I've seen that doesn't deal with atari/nintendo/sega titles exclusively. Now do a similar series on video game sound - then maybe the Amiga would get some play smiley

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 27-11-2014 12:29
You might like some of his other stuff. More video game history:

And a series on Iconic Arms, from a video game perspective:

As you will notice, it is now possible to embed YouTube playlists. Let me know if my hack broke something...

Page 7 of 9 << < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page